.PNG">

Blogs > Ivan Lajara

Daily Freeman Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about journalism, living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

SUNY New Paltz is No. 1 on this thing. What happened next surprised no one.


One of my first lead stories for 'The Oracle,' SUNY New Paltz-student run newspaper back in The Before Time, was about pot smoking on campus. It was accompanied by a huge photo of a dude hitting a large bong in a dorm that the editors easily managed to obtain. I remember that the jump was terribly mangled in the editing process.


And I also remember the lede:

SUNY New Paltz smells.
And that smell is coming from dorm rooms.
I used that clip in my resume when I applied to the Freeman. I got the job and they haven't been able to get rid of me for has become a bit more than 14 full years (on Jan. 30). Good times.

I bring this up today because I ran into a Huffington Post article that reports that SUNY New Paltz is the No.1 college when it comes to drug arrests per capita:

SUNY New Paltz had the No. 1 per capita rate of students with drug arrests on campus -- 13.9 per 1,000 students, or 105 on-campus drug arrests in 2013. The school was No. 107 in 2012, with 24 on-campus drug arrests.

Obligatory gif is obligatory:



Some caveats. The data from Project Know is from 2013.  There were 105 on-campus arrests that year, but what about off campus?

Also, "we are not surprised by this data." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You be you, New Paltz. You be you.

***


The New New Republic: 'To him, journalism remains "content."'
The Guardian: "Journalism should be a conversation."

Here's some more ~conversational content~:

Oakland County, Michigan, home of naked men on the street.
'Supertweets' = Ian, what are you doing?
Emojis in  the   courtroom.  

The Four, aka what's trending at the Freeman as I write this: 
* My Google Glass Kingston photos are still doing pretty well today. One of those even made it to the front page in ~print~. I added a night set for comparison purposes and because I walked home. I also think the cold messed up with the device's lens. Don't tell my boss.
* The project to turn the former Lace Curtain Factory in Kingston into housing for artist got some $$$ and people are happy, probably because nobody called it "low income housing"? We know what happens if it's phrased like that.
* The Freeman aggregated the aforementioned SUNY New Paltz drug arrests stats story while we work on a full report. Comment from 'Hurley Guy':
This distinction can be interpreted in two ways:An exceptional number of druggies enroll at New Paltz; orNew Paltz strictly enforces the drug laws.I believe the latter.
* Duh.

One cat: Is the Internet done with Left Shark yet?


One Google Glass photo: You shall not pass.


Yesterday's Internet, Today! is a piece of ~content~ in which I throw in a bunch of links I tweeted, faved or saw the day before or in the morning. You also get a cat and a Google Glass photo. It's also a newsletter, and there are actual people subscribed to it.

Labels: , , , , ,

blog comments powered by Disqus