.PNG">

Blogs > Ivan Lajara

Daily Freeman Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about journalism, living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Woodstock resident's "Ugly Truth" hits theaters today


"The Ugly Truth" which was co-written by Woodstock resident Nicole Eastman, hits theaters today.

The Woodstock Film Festival asked her to comment on her experience with the film:

"When I wrote THE UGLY TRUTH, I gave myself the challenge of creating a romantic comedy -- traditionally a female genre -- that would appeal to both sexes. Initially, I was daunted by the prospect of creating not just a convincing male character, but a male chauvinist pig, who could somehow win the hearts of female audiences. Surprisingly, after the initial trepidation, I had more fun writing the character of Mike Chadway than any other character I had created in the past.

"I hoped the male character would be edgy, obscene...and, most important, totally realistic. I knew I achieved my objective when people, upon first reading the script, refused to believe a woman wrote it. (Hopefully they were convinced after meeting me.) I wrote many drafts of THE UGLY TRUTH and have seen the project change hands multiple times in recent years. However, I am happy to report that the film is as funny and charming (and raunchy!) as I hoped it would be.

"I never imagined, when I was brainstorming an idea for my very first job -- the first assignment in a two-picture deal I had at Warners -- that someday this would be a major motion picture with this kind of manic buzz surrounding it. The stars, Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl, were brilliantly cast and bring a genuine chemistry to all of their scenes together. I am thrilled with the final result and I hope everyone will come out to see it."
blog comments powered by Disqus