Monday, May 11, 2009
Obama the comedian
Highlights of President Barack Obama's speech from Saturday's White House Correspondents' Association dinner:
* "Good evening. Pause for laughter."
* “I’m Barack Obama. Most of you covered me. All of you voted for me.”
* "Sasha and Malia aren't here tonight because they're grounded. You can't just take Air Force One on a joyride to Manhattan. I don't care whose kids you are."
* About White House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel: "He's not used to saying the word 'day' after 'mother.'"
* About chairman of Republican National Committee: "Michael Steele is in the house tonight. Or as he would say, 'In the heezy.' What's up?"
* "Michael for the last time, the Republican Party does not qualify for a bailout. Rush Limbaugh does not count as a troubled asset, I'm sorry."
* About former vice president Dick Cheney, who's writing a memoir "tentatively titled, 'How to Shoot Friends and Interrogate People.'"
* About former rival and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton: "These days, we could not be closer. In fact the second she got back from Mexico, she pulled me into a hug and gave me a big kiss, told me I better get down there myself."
There are plenty more:
The Twitter hash tags are #WHCD, #WHCA and, more appropriately, #nerdprom.