.PNG">

Blogs > Ivan Lajara

Daily Freeman Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about journalism, living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Gobble, gobble

"Norman the turkey will live past Thanksgiving, rescue group says"" was a headline in the Thanksgiving edition of the Freeman.

I was reading that as I was ironically eating turkey yesterday.

I began to think about the birds that made it, and those who didn't.

Here is one that made it:



The Associated Press reported that "May," above, was pardoned by President Bush at the White House on Thursday. The bird here is riding atop a float as she serves as honorary grand marshal of the Thanksgiving Day Parade on Main Street in Disney's Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving Day. Which is understandable. I would also go to Disneyland if my life was pardoned or if I were to win the Superbowl.

Here is one turkey that didn't make it, as reported by the Associated Press:



Rachel Portnoy, 17, center, said the turkey "exploded" after her father, Rich Portnoy (behind Rachel), had taken out of the oven the 72-pound dressed bird.

Let me repeat that: A 72-POUND TURKEY.

Rich Portnoy has an annual contest with his sister, who lives in Virginia, on who has the biggest turkey. Rich was victorious this year (duh!), with a 59-week-old turkey the family bought from an area farmer.

The family gave the bird a nickname: "Barry Bonds."

"I feel like I won the World Series," said Ron about finding the large bird, fitting it in the oven and then tasting the flavorful turkey, which hopefully didn't have any steroids.

blog comments powered by Disqus