Thursday, January 5, 2012

General Election Write-In candidates

The Ulster County Board of Election released all the Write-In results for all the races in the Nov. 8 elections.
For some reason I'm on its list so I received this from Vic Work, Commissioner of Elections.

See if your name is in it (mine isn't).



To do this, I want your help in a little experiment. Since the Board of Election's document couldn't be searched in the text field (it's an image even though it has text), I uploaded to DocumentCloud, which converts the text images into actual, searchable text (just hit the Text tab in the document below).

It also allows for annotations, which adds much needed context to the names.Hit the yellow tabs on the side of the documents. Or better yet, hit "Notes" on top of the document to just see the notes.

If you are looking for a race or a person in particular, hit text on the tab below and give it a try.

I'll be annotating this document as I find names of note (like writer and featured Freeman blogger Martha Frankel in the town of Olive for supervisor), but feel free to jump in and post a comment if you find something and wanted identifying information added to the document. I'll add a note, like the eight you see below. Add your name if you want credit. Links and supporting information are a plus. I'm aware there are a lot of notable people in the list. I'm looking for the most obscure names. I'll be annotating the document giving preference to those who received a large number of write-in votes, in descending order. The first eight are to show you how it works.